How To Hang Roman Blinds? | Step-by-Step Guide
How to fit your roman blinds will depend on whether you are hanging them on an interior or exterior mount however in general the process is very similar and simple. Once you have measured and made markings for fixings you can install the brackets using the screws provided and then the blind should easily be fitted into the brackets and ‘snapped’ into place.
The following tips on how to hang Roman blinds are particularly useful to homeowners who purchased these window treatments on online sites and, thus, missed out on the free installation service. But anybody who wants to hang Roman blinds can also keep these steps and tips in mind.
Decide where to hang them
Before learning how to fit roman blinds, the first step is deciding on the placement of the made to measure Roman blinds – either inside or outside the window recess. An inside placement appears elegant but be sure to check that sufficient space is available for the top fittings. An outside placement will make windows appear larger, not to mention that it is suitable for windows with limited recess and where curtains will not be placed.
The steps for each type of placement will vary for obvious reasons. Be sure to read the instructions for hanging the Roman blinds, if possible, since these window treatments may have special steps. Keep the tools for the activity within easy reach, too.
Before learning how to hang roman blinds, keep these important things in mind about their placement..
- Check with the manufacturer about special headings for the blinds. Most come with Velcro-type headings that will cover 1-2 inches of the blinds at their top; measure the fastening from the top of the blinds that will be covered to a few millimetres above the windowsill.
- Allow a few millimetres of allowance on either or both sides of the blinds for ventilation purposes. Otherwise, the windows may have unwanted condensation.
- Place the blinds outside of the recess in case you want to prevent light from entering into the room (i. e., in a dark room or a night nursery). Check that the window frame can actually bear the weight of the Roman shades.
- Place the blinds inside the recess in case of a deep window frame or windowsill.
Hanging with an interior mount
Basically, hanging the Roman blinds via an interior mount means attaching the shades to the “ceiling” portion of the window frame. In contrast, an exterior mount means attaching the shades to the “walls” of the window frame, which can either on the left or side window.
- Check the frame – Check that the interior of the window frame is level; use a level to determine it. Attach a small shim on the ceiling in case the frame is uneven.
- Check the blinds against the frame – Take the blinds out of their packaging but keep them bunched up. Hold them up to where you want to hang them on the inside of the window frame.
- Mark the blinds – Mark the Roman blinds’ location on the window frame and the brackets on the shades; use a carpenter’s pencil. The spacing between brackets should be about 3 inches from each side of the shade. Set aside the blinds.
- Install the brackets – Install the brackets by using the screws made for the purpose. You may have to line up the brackets with the window frame’s edge while matching the screws with the brackets’ holes before screwing them in place.
- Install the roman blinds – Click the brackets in place, slide the blinds’ top forward to snap the brackets, and secure them to the frame. Test the fit by adjusting the shades (i.e., pulling on the cord or drawstring). A child safety lock away wand can be used to reduce the risk of accidents when blinds are being in children’s or vulnerable people’s rooms/homes.
Of course, it is important to check that the installed Roman shades will actually look good and operate well.
Hanging with an exterior mount
In case of an exterior mount, keep these tips in mind although the basic steps involved in an interior mount remain the same. First, check that the blinds are sufficiently large to cover the entire window with 4-8 inches of allowance on all four sides. Second, check that the fitting is just right with the wall above the window and windowsills (e.g., radiator).
A Complete Guide to Fitting Roman Blinds
When your Roman Blind arrives it will contain everything you need for fitting except screws and rawl plugs which vary depending on the type of wall.
Tools you will require are a drill, a 6mm drill bit, and a philips screwdriver.
The first step is to fix your brackets to the wall or window frame. You can face fix the brackets or top fix them to the frame, wall or ceiling.
You will need to use two screws for each bracket.
Mark through the screw holes making sure they are level and in line. It’s a good idea to check with a spirit level.
With the brackets removed, drill and fit rawl plugs if necessary. Use wall plugs for plaster and masonry walls. We recommend securing a wooden batten to the wall for plaster walls to ensure a strong hold.
Fix each bracket in place, checking the alignment as you go.
Once the brackets are securely in place, the track can be mounted. The track needs to be hooked onto the front of the brackets and then the back of the track clicked into place.
Press the white levers closed to secure the blind; they should click into place. It is a good idea to peel away the blind from the velcro track when you push the levers into place. The levers will then be hidden by the blind. Only peel away one section of the blind at a time, to prevent the blind from falling down.
The chain safety guide needs to be mounted to the wall to help reduce the risk of strangulation. It is not entirely foolproof but should be used to keep the chain out of the reach of children and minimise risk.
With the safety guide on the chain, mark a suitable mounting position for the guide, at a point where it keeps the chain taut. It is essential that the chain safety guide is installed at the maximum distance possible from the control mechanism to prevent the looped chain becoming slack. This must be no lower than 150 cm from the floor.
Use appropriate fixings to mount the safety guide with the chain attached. The chain will sit in the safety guide at all times, ensuring the chains aren’t dangling freely.
WARNING: Young children have been strangled by loops in the cords and chains used to operate roman blinds. Please read through our safety guide for roman blinds before fitting your blind: Roman Blind Safety
Your Step-by-Step Guide To Roman Blind Fittings
DIY home decor doesn’t have to be complicated, even when it comes to hanging window treatments. In fact, roman blinds and other window blinds are a great way to add style to your home without having to break out the big power tools.
Wondering how to properly master roman blind fittings? You’ve come to the right place. Here, we’ll give a brief overview of roman blinds and show you how to measure and fit them in a matter of minutes. You’ll learn about the different types of roman blind mounts and find step-by-step instructions on installing roman blinds without the hassle.
What Are Roman Blinds?
Roman blinds — similar to Austrian shades — are a type of window treatment featuring a fabric piece that layers or stacks when the blinds are opened. The fabric delicately folds over itself, creating a sophisticated draped or pleated aesthetic. When the blinds are closed, they offer a visibly smooth appearance without the ridges or bumps that are present in other types of blinds.
Roman blinds come in a variety of fabrics, including cotton and polyester, and feature dimout or blackout fabrics. There are both corded and cordless systems, offering versatility when it comes to ease of use. The lift cord moves the blinds up and down and there are no slats or swivel wands since these blinds are made from one piece of fabric. The cords may be made of clear plastic, PVC, wood and other materials. Some roman blinds also feature a valance that adds depth and texture.
These blinds are particularly popular in formal living rooms, offices and bedrooms. They are easy to clean and require only a quick vacuuming using an upholstery brush every few weeks. They are low-maintenance and easy to install.
How To Measure for Roman Blind Fittings
Measuring roman blinds is quick and easy. All you need is a tape measure, a pencil and a piece of paper. If you order a free sample from Make My Blinds, you’ll receive a handy template that you can use instead of a piece of paper.
Once you have your tools, you’ll need to decide if you want to mount the blinds inside the recess or outside the recess. An inside the recess mount involves installing the blinds directly inside the window frame. This offers a seamless look and snug fit that is minimal and clean.
An outside the recess mount involves installing the blinds just outside the window frame. This is a great choice for narrow window frames and windows that have handles and obstructions that are too tight to fit a blind inside the frame. Here, we’ll show you how to measure for both inside and outside recess roman blind fittings.
Inside the Recess
Now that you have your tools and know how you’re going to mount the blind, here’s how to measure for inside the recess roman blind fittings.
Measure the width of your recess at the top, middle and bottom of the window. Write down the smallest measurement on your piece of paper or template.
Next, measure the drop — or height — of your recess across the left, middle and bottom of the window. Again, write down the smallest measurement.
When ordering blinds, make sure to select ‘recess’ as your fit and enter your recorded measurements.
Make sure to account for any obstructions such as tiles, picture rails and handles when measuring. Measure outside of these obstructions to ensure the blinds will operate properly. In addition, most roman blinds at Make My Blinds will be cut 10 millimetres narrower than the recess measurement in order to fit the control mechanism and mounting brackets.
Outside the Recess
Also known as an ‘exact fit’, outside the recess blinds are designed to mount to the face of the wall just above the window frame. Here’s how to measure roman blind fittings if you are mounting outside the recess.
Decide where you will mount the brackets and measure the width of the outside of the recess from left to right.
Next, measure the height outside the recess from the point where you want the headrail tube — also known as the batten — to sit all the way down to where you want the bottom roller shade bar to stop.
Select “exact” fit when ordering and enter your recorded dimensions.
For exact roman blind fittings, we do not make any deductions to the total width. However, we recommend adding a minimum of 70 millimetre overlap to the width in order to account for the fabric width being 35 millimetres shorter on each side. The fabric is shorter in order to allow space for the brackets and the control mechanism.
How To Fit Roman Blinds
When it comes to how to install roman blinds, the process is relatively easy and straightforward. To start, you’ll need screws, wall plugs, a pencil, a tape measure, a screwdriver, a drill with the appropriate size drill bit and your roman blind parts — typically the blind and brackets for mounting. If you’re not sure what drill bit to use, find out the width of your screws and use that size drill bit. For example, if your screws are 4 millimetres, use a 4-millimetre drill bit.
If you ordered your roman shades from Make My Blinds, you’ll receive blind brackets that offer a universal fit. The brackets can be installed on the top of the window recess — known as a top fix — or to the face of the window or the wall, which is known as a face fix. Face fix mounts can be used both inside and outside the recess while a top fix is only possible on inside the recess mounts. Once installed, the blind will snap into place via a swing arm located on the bracket.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to roman blind fittings:
1. Use a pencil to mark the drill holes where you will mount the brackets depending on if you are mounting inside or outside the recess.
2. Start by drilling your holes. Insert the wall plugs into the holes.
3. Fit the brackets over the screw holes and use a screwdriver to mount the bracket using your screws.
4. Once brackets are mounted, move the swing arm so that it faces directly towards you.
5. On the blind, remove the Velcro strip along the top of the headrail.
6. Clip the headrail into the swing arm on the bracket. To lock it in place, turn the swing arm towards the headrail.
7. Reattach the Velcro strip neatly onto the headrail, making sure to cover the brackets.
With our blinds, you do not need to mount a child safety clip, screw eyes, tensioners or cord cleats to the wall. That’s because our blinds feature a built-in child safety device that prevents cord tassels and cord locks from posing a danger to children and pets. The blind cord will simply break away from the blind if too much pressure is applied, eliminating the need for an additional mounting mechanism.
Treat Your Home To a Makeover
At Make My Blinds, we carry a huge selection of high-quality and heavy-duty blinds. From wood blinds to roman blinds, we always have a wide range of patterns, colours and materials in stock. Each blind comes with built-in child safety features that adhere to the British Blind and Shutter Association guidelines for peace of mind. In addition, you’ll enjoy free delivery in the UK on orders over £179 and all of our blinds come with a five-year guarantee.
RINGBLOMMA Roman blind, white, 34×63″
Beautiful. Only wish it cameSTEPHEN M.Beautiful. Only wish it came 2 inches smaller in width. Is it possible to make one customizable.4
Love themKIMLooks great in my bedrooms and loft5
These window shades are soSandraThese window shades are so clever and attractive! We love them and will be buying more!5
Easy to hang, lightweight, and clean lookingPatriciaThese were very easy to hang with ring curtain clips to swap out heavy curtains for the summer. The white ones are clean looking. They don’t fully block the light but diffuse it nicely, they aren’t see-through but you can see shadows through them at night, so you would know if a light was on in the room.
They open and close by reaching up with the plastic clip on the bottom section. The clip is ugly but it does the job. If you have tall windows and aren’t very tall it can make it hard to open and close as you have to jump up to reach.4
Love theseCathyI’ve used your shades for years. Then these were updated with the magnet and washable! Excellent and so affordable!5
When will you make more?MARIEThese are great for the price! I’d like to order more. I’d love to see more sizes too! I suggest rolling it on its size and drilling the bar right in – hanging on the little hooks look cheap though certainly more easily hung/removed that wag – but that’s an easy diy. Look like custom shades when mounted. I sewed one a few inches narrower and was also easy to adjust it (I do have a sewing machine but imagine the hemming tape would work too!).5
Amazing shadesAnnieI always cover all my windows with these wonderful Roman shades for being practical, modern and elegant.5
Roman ShadesCharleneLove these. Bought 4 and plan to buy for another room. Clean look and easy to raise and lower. Very pretty when sunlight is behind them.5
Ringblooma semi-transparentCAROLINAI bought a white and blue striped one in as-is. It served as a temporary covering for a window.
I waited for the white ones to return to stock, and bought three. They work well as a light diffuser, but not well for privacy at night.4
Super great when you can find them!Garrett22Love these- great color , well made! Easy to hNg!5
I really love this …butVintage mama2020I really love this …but, SIZES!! Please!!!! At least bring the same sizes but longer like 34x 76!4
Exactly what I wantedStinky5367I wanted an alternate to traditional blinds. These were JUST THE THING!!!! They fit beautifully on my double rods and are super easy to install and use. Great material and beautifully built.5
Nice shadesJennjenI really like these shades but there were only 2 sizes available and my new house has 6 different sized windows. A great thing though! I have a metal front door with a large glass insert. The magnets mean this shade can be used without drilling holes in the door.4
easy to installFrankBobI really like these blinds. Easy to install and look good. I don’t know if they can or do make room darkening blinds too but that would be a nice option for some other rooms. Also are there more width sizes?4
Fast and easy installKelljoI bought the shade for a basement window I was needing to cover. It works great for what I was needing and I like the magnetic adjustable features.5
Not what I expectedBONNIETaBought over a month ago and already replaced them2
Simple, classic roman blind.jacksmom1I have these in every window in my home and due to the way my windows are installed they make a good option at a reasonable price and look great and cohesive from the outside. I wish they would bring back the wider sizes they used to have so that I could buy replacements! Look excellent layered with other curtains to block light and insulate during the winter months. You need to spot clean them and hanging is easy with cup hooks!5
Good valuehaverwenchWe spent over a year looking for something to replace our old (discontinued) Roman shades, and this was by far the best option for the price. Easy to hang and easy to adjust, with or without the handles. Lets in plenty of light. And difficult for our cats to shred, a prime consideration. One thing that would improve it is having the magnets spaced *less* evenly so it’s easier to adjust to a variety of different lengths. As it is, we had to roll the fabric up at the top to get the blinds to hang to the bottom of our 4-foot-tall windows.4
Great features.WitzI bought 8 of these blinds for my downstairs windows. Very easy to use and put up. I especially like that you can raise them in various combinations for different lengths. I like the bright white color. I especially like the fact that they are washable!! I just wish they were a little more opaque, but otherwise they are great.4
Love it!brigididI keep buying them. Soon I will have one for every window. Wish they had more sizes5
Inside VS Outside Mount Of Shades And Blinds
If you are choosing Venetian blinds or roller shades for the first time, you are very likely to have a ton of questions. Should I buy bamboo window shades or opt for another wood? Invest in cordless window treatments or pick something simpler? And the most common question: Inside or outside mount? At first, it may look like there is no difference. Both options of roman shades mount neatly cover a window, create a pleasant atmosphere, and protect you from UV rays. As you may have already guessed, there are some significant differences between inside and outside blinds mount. The right choice of mounting may significantly influence your satisfaction with the purchased window roman shades. For example, after the blinds are ordered, you may find out that they aren’t suitable for your window frame. Also, some people want the highest level of blackout which can only be achieved with hanging outside blinds. And many more subtleties…
Alva’s team has a solid experience with shades, blinds, and curtains. We decorated hundreds of windows and can promptly recommend you a perfect match. Besides, our specialists are always glad to share their knowledge and create helpful content on Roman shades and other window treatments. Therefore, in this article, you will find many handy tips from our team. Read on to learn about inside vs outside mount, its functions, benefits, and installation.
Inside And Outside Mount. How To Pick The Right Type Of Window Blinds?
It’s great to have a choice if you know how to make it right. The availability of several mount types allows tailoring Roman blinds to your needs and preferences. Yet to better understand your initial requirements, make sure to consider several things, such as:
- What is the depth of the window frame and opening?
- How do your windows open? Do they have a crank handle or lift?
- Do you want to combine blinds with curtains?
- Is there any molding around a window?
- What level of blackout do you want to achieve?
If you find answers to these questions before going to a blinds store or placing an order online, you are more likely to remain satisfied with your window blinds. They will match the technical characteristics of your windows and fulfill the expected functions.
What Is An Inside Mount Of Window Shades?
If you order an inside mount roller or roman shades, they will be installed within your window frames and inside the window recess. This means that they should be slightly narrower than the window to smoothly move up and down. A ¼ or ½ of an inch is a usual difference recommended by blinds manufacturers. This ensures that the blinds have enough space to operate and filter the expected amount of light at the same time. The brackets of inside shades are installed right into the window frame corners. To hide the mount mechanisms and achieve a finished look, many blinds stores offer to use a fascia. With such a design solution, inside mounts make windows look very minimalist and elegant.
Here’s another thing. Make sure to accurately measure window width, height, recess, frame, and other relevant parameters. Many customers delude themselves into believing that approximate measures are enough to design roman blinds. The truth is that such negligence often leads to huge disappointment. Manufacturers can calculate the perfect roman shades size for your window, but they need reliable information.
Besides, if the blackout level is something you worry about, you can complement roman blinds with side and sill channels. They will cover the gap between the fabrics and window edges, creating more privacy. As a result, you will be able to use inside mount roller shades in guestrooms, meeting rooms, or bedrooms.
As you can see, there are numerous ways to customize inside mount blinds. In case you don’t know how to pick the most suitable design, don’t hesitate to contact Alva for professional advice.
When You Should Choose An Inside Mount
Inside mount blinds are much more common than outside and are usually preferred by customers. There are several main cases when you should install them:
- To show beautiful window moldings. Those homeowners that have quality wood frames or appealing moldings may want to keep them visible. Whereas outside mount hides a part of the window beauty, inside Venetian shades make it stand out.
- To cover windows when there is no wall space for outside mount installation. An inside mount is an optimum solution if there is no space to mount blinds above. Choosing a mount type, always consider the technical part of the question.
- To complement curtains instead of substituting them. For rooms that have plenty of space, many people decide to order both roller/roman blinds and curtains. Fabric curtains add a luxurious touch to a room, whereas the blinds absorb sound and light. Such a combination is possible only with inside mount blinds that fit into windows.
- To achieve better energy efficiency. Since inside mount roman shades are located closer to the windowpane, they effectively keep the heat. This solution can even slightly cut your electricity bills.
Besides, inside mount shades look more elegant and reserved than their outside counterparts. Especially, if you hide brackets with a minimalist fascia. A lot of benefits, right? If that’s what you look for, consider ordering inside mount shades to decorate your windows.
What Is An Outside Mount Of Window Shades?
Outside shades are mounted either on the ceiling or on the wall just above a window. They are called ‘outside’ because the shade is fully located outside the window recess or frame. Outside roman or roller shades are always wider than the window opening and completely cover it. This creates a nice symmetric look and allows to achieve a high blackout level. Their width depends both on the size of the window and your design preferences. In this case, you have a little more freedom than with inside mount blinds. Just remember that outside shades must be wider than windows.
There is another significant difference between outside and inside mount types. Whereas inside mount shades require a side and sill channel to fully block light, outside shades don’t need any extra accessories. They are wide enough to overlap window edges and prevent sunlight from entering the room. Most manufacturers actually don’t provide channels for an outside mount since there is no need to use them. Note that if you want to achieve 100% blackout, you should pick fabrics with lining. As an alternative, you may also consider bamboo or other types of wood. In addition to advanced light control, such materials also provide moderate sound insulation.
When You Should Choose An Outside Mount
Similarly to inside mount type, there are certain situations when outside blinds are an optimum choice or even the only possible option. Thus, you should consider ordering outside shades in the following cases:
- To visually increase your windows. Outside mount blinds create a great vertical line and cover the upper part of a frame which makes your windows look higher.
- To achieve full blackout without side and sill channels. As we have already mentioned, inside blinds can ensure a certain level of blackout when used with special accessories. Yet if you expect ultimate privacy and don’t want to install side and sill channels, we recommend ordering outside mount blinds. They are just perfect for guest rooms and hotel suites.
- To decorate a window that isn’t deep enough to install inside blinds. Sometimes, you cannot install blinds within your window frames, and that’s it. Then, outside blinds are an excellent alternative.
- To cover windows of unusual shape. Inside mount shades may be impossible to mount on curved or round windows. Since outside blinds are mounted on the ceiling or wall, they have no limitations in terms of the window shape.
- To hide window trims. If you want to cover the top of windows but curtains are too massive, opt for outside mount blinds. It’s a happy medium to decorate windows without wasting extra space in front of them.
- To use blinds for windows with an alarm sensor or crank handle. Sensors and handles are serious obstacles to installing inside mount blinds. An outside mounting leaves more space between the windowpane and the wall, eliminating this problem.
In addition to mounting, the functionality of Venetian blinds also heavily depends on the control type. At Alva, you can choose from continuous loop, cord lock, cordless, and motorized window shades. Each control mechanism has its unique benefits and nuances. We also offer a broad range of materials, starting from 100% linen to bamboo.
How To Measure A Window For Blinds?
Once you get to hanging shades, it will be too late to measure the window size. Customers often neglect the importance of accurate measures and end up upset with the result. To avoid this, make sure to measure everything beforehand.
How to measure a window for ordering blinds?
- Measure the width of the window opening three times (at the bottom, top, and middle).
- Measure the height of the window opening three times (right, middle, and left).
- Measure two diagonals of the window and check whether they are equal.
- Round all the measurements the nearest to ⅛’,’ and use the smallest width and the largest height in your order.
Still, have questions about outside or inside mount shades? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with Alva for professional assistance and advice.
Share this post:
How to Install Roman Shades
Do you have your heart set on Roman shades for your home window treatments? Use the step-by-step instructions below to learn exactly how to install Roman shades.
Tools You Need to Install Roman Shades
Before you install Roman shades, it’s important to make sure you have the proper tools and resources. You need the following items to install Roman shades:
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Metal tape Measure
- Step ladder
Choose Inside Mount or Outside Mount Roman Shades
Once you have your tools, it’s time to decide if you want inside mount or outside mount Roman shades. This step is necessary in order to ensure the correct fit on your window. Learn more about the pros and cons of inside mount Roman shade vs. outside mount shades in this guide.
How to Hang Roman Shades
The information in this guide will provide general step-by-step instructions for how to install Roman window shades. Depending on the brand and style of shade that you choose, however, different types of Roman shades may have varied installation instructions. Be sure to check the installation guide that accompanies your shades to know if there are any additional steps or considerations.
Mount Your Roman Shades
The first step to install Roman shades is to hang the mounting brackets. Where you place the brackets depends on if you choose inside- or outside-mount Roman shades.
Inside Mount Roman Shade Installation
Step 1: With Roman shades, the mounting holes are pre-drilled into the headrail. In order to line them up with the window, you need to put the screws through the mounting holes and then hold the shade inside the window frame to line it up with the center of the frame.
Step 2: Once the shades are lined up, push up on the headrail to leave small indentations from the screws in the frame. This will make the next step much easier.
Step 3: Drill a hole at the indentactions. Once the hole is in place, finish the installation by attaching the screws to the headrail and drilling them into the pre-drilled holes.
Outside Mount Roman Shade Installation
The process to install outside mount Roman shades isn’t that much different from inside mount shades, however, you want to ensure that you position your mounting brackets on the wall or window frame where they won’t interfere with the operating mechanism that raises and lowers your shades.
Step 1: Place your shade against the wall where you will mount your window treatments. Mark the top of the headrail with a pencil. Your mark should be approximately 2.5 inches from the outside edges of your headrail. Fasten your brackets to the wall or window frame using long screws. Ensure your brackets are level so that your Roman shades will hang evenly.
Step 2: Once your brackets are in place, place your headrail on the brackets and snap into place. Make sure the cords can move freely and will not get caught on the brackets.
Step 3: When your shade is set in the brackets, use screws to secure your window treatments firmly in place.
Step 3: Test Your Roman Shades
The final step of the Roman shade installation process is simple:test your shades! Gently pull down and roll up your shades to make sure they are even and function properly.
Get Expert Installation Help Today
Need some help installing your shades? The experts at The Shade Store are here to help. Learn more about The Shade Store’s nationwide measure and installation services to guarantee a perfect fit.
DIY Roman Blinds with Grommet Detail — Creating lovely, livable homes.
One of the most common comments I received on Carson’s Room reveal post was regarding the Roman Blinds and how I made the grommet detailing on the bottom. So today I am sharing how I did it!
These blinds were actually created because of a huge mistake I made. Originally, I was just going to make them in the chevron fabric with no added detail. I just wanted them to be a full panel that fit inside the window frame and folded up nice and neatly. When I started making them, I accidentally cut the fabric about 4 inches too short. ARGH!! Lesson learned. Always measure twice and cut once. Since I didn’t want to order an additional 4 yards of the fabric to re-do them, I put my thinking cap on and scoured pinterest to try and come up with ideas to “fix” them.
What transpired was the idea to add trim on the bottom with grommets as a decorative detail. It was the perfect solution! The were still simple, yet fun and boyish. And they look perfect in his room. I actually like them better than the original plan! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade.
I din’t write up an entire tutorial about exactly how I made the blinds, since there are a ton out there and its a bit more custom to your window size and how you want them mounted (inside or outside frame), but I will be sharing with you how I added the bottom panel with the grommets, as well as a few tips and tricks on
products and techniques I used to install my blinds and make them look like a professional made them! (You can take a look at this post to see my Faux Roam Blind tutorial. I used the same technique to make my lined panels for the blinds as well as the same mounting technique.)
When I started, I just had the chevron fabric cut to size, and I figured I needed to add about 3.5″ of length to it so it would fit inside the window frame from top to bottom. I had some extra grey Duck Cloth laying around that happened to be a match, so I cut a piece that was the exact same width as the chevron fabric, and 8″ long. I got the 8″ because I doubled the length I needed, and then added 1/2″ to each end for seam allowances. So for example if you need to add a section that is 5″ long, you would cut a piece 11″ long. Stitch this piece to the bottom of your fabric, right sides together using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
When you insert the grommets, you need a double thickness of fabric, so that is why we cut the pieces twice as long as necessary. Now you are going to get out your trusty iron and press the seam open to make it nice and crisp. Then fold up the bottom edge of the panel 1/2″ and press. Finally, fold the bottom panel up in half so the bottom edge meets the seam on the wrong side and press. This is what my panel looks like all neatly pressed.
From here, you are going to finish your panel however you choose, whether it be lined or unlined. I chose to line mine using blackout lining to keep as much daylight out as possible. All of you with young kids know we want them to sleep in as long as possible!! (You can see how I lined my Faux Roman Blinds here. I used the same technique.) If you are not lining your blinds, finish off your edges and header however you choose. To secure the bottom section, simply hem it. I hemmed mine directly to the liner using this tutorial on how to sew a blind hem.
Once your panel is all done we can start installing the grommets. I bought mine from Joann fabrics. They are Dritz 1-9/16-Inch Inner Diameter Curtain Grommets, 8-Pack, Pewter and also available through my astore at Amazon.
They don’t require and tools and just snap in! Easy peasy. They come with a handy dandy template too which we are going to use now. Simple figure out how many grommets you want to use (I used 5) and space them accordingly. Measure first horizontally to get the spacing right, then vertically to fit the center of where your grommet will go and mark using a disappearing fabric pen.
Now line up the center of the template with the dot you just made and trace your circle. This is your guide to cut the hole in your fabric where the grommet will go.
Now that your circles are all drawn, it’s time to cut them out and install the grommets! You will notice that one side of the grommet has little “teeth” and the other has “grooves”. Simply lay the side with the teeth underneath the fabric lining it up with the hole, and then line up the top piece with the grooves and snap them together.
That’s it! Easy right?! This is the same technique you would use if you want to add grommets to the top of your curtain panels too.
Are you still with me?! Good. I hope I haven’t confused you yet. Now I’m going to share with you a few products that I use that are easy and deliver professional results when making your own roman blinds.
Have you heard of Roman Shade Tube Tape
before?! This is an ingenious product and so much easier than using those little rings that you have to sew on individually to the back of your blinds! They sell it at Joann Fabrics, but I also have it listed in my astore for your convenience.
Its tape that has small pockets to string your cord through as well a larger pocket to hold dowels that will give your shades a nice crisp fold. What you do is sew it on horizontally to create your folds. This is the part where a little math comes in. You need to figure out what size you want your folds to be as well as how many folds your blind is going to have. Terrell Designs offers a fantastic calculator tool to help you figure it all out. Just enter in your dimensions and your ideal “stackage” size and it will tell you haw many folds as well as the spacing. Click here to go to that calculator. (They also have a ton of free roman blind instructions too! Click here to view those.) Something to keep in mind….I wanted my grommets to show when the blinds were up, so I took that into consideration when figuring out the spacing on the folds.
Back to the tape…..Once you figure out your tape placement, you want to cut your strips 1″ wider than the width of your shade. Before sewing them on, press each edge under 1/2″ to create a little pocket so the dowels will stay put after you install them. Sew only the top edge of the tape directly to the back of your panel using a straight stitch. Try and sew this on as straight and level as possible as the stitching will show through on the front of your blind. Once all the tape is sewn on, install the dowels by sliding them through the slit at the bottom of the tape. I picked up my wooden dowels in the craft section at Joann Fabrics and just cut them to size.
When you string the blinds with the cording, you simply direct the cording through the appropriate loop in the tape that lines up with your hardware. I used a measuring tape to measure from the edge to make sure it was evenly strung all the way from top to bottom. Tie a knot after the last loop at the bottom of the shade to secure the Cord.
Tip! An easy way to thread the Cord through the lops is to put a piece of masking tape on the raw end!
Now that the blind is complete, lets install these babies!! Instead of using eye hooks to thread my cords through on the mounting strip, I use cord pulleys and cord lock. They glide much easier and the cord “locks” into place instead of having to wrap the Cord around a cord cleat.
To house my hardware, I make a mounting strip for my blinds out of a 1×2 piece of wood that is screwed directly into the top of the window frame. On the front of the strip I install a piece of Velcro where the blind attaches. (See this tutorial for more detailed instructions). On the underneath of the strip is where I mount my blind hardware. Since this is a fairly wide blind, I decided to use 3 pulleys so the blind folds are nice and level when pulled up; one in the center, and one about 2-3″ from each edge. The cord lock goes on the very end of the strip. You can mount it on the right or left depending on what side you want your cords to hang. The first cord on your blinds gets strung through the first pulley, then the second, then the third and finally through the cord lock. The second cord goes through the second pulley, then the third and so on until all cords are eventually strung through the cord lock.
I ordered my hardware through Amazon and I have also made these available through my astore. Click on the images below for more information on these products or to order some for yourself.
And one last tip for you, when you are finishing off the ends of the cords, instead of using your standard plastic cord pulls, get creative! I used some wood beads that painted white, but there are so many other options you could use! Just take a stroll through the craft or jewelry section of your local craft store to get those creative juices flowing.
Best of luck to you with your blind project! I hope you found this post helpful and not just a jumble of information. If you get stuck or have any questions, feel free to send me an email at [email protected] In the meantime, here’s links to two other tutorials I referenced to earlier that may help as well.
And to tour the rest of Carson’s room, click here!
How Roman blinds are attached: the choice of fastening, installation rules
In modern houses and apartments, a lot of attention is paid to window drapery. A couple of decades ago, her choice was very small, and the hostesses used ordinary tulle or curtains to decorate the windows. One of the ways to decorate any room is Roman blinds, which easily fit into every interior, giving it charm and comfort. The choice of the appropriate type of drapery and the way in which Roman blinds are attached depend on the design approach of the owners.
Advantages of Roman blinds
Such curtains are very popular when creating any style and have the following advantages:
Attention! Kitchen Set has started working on our website. You can get acquainted with it and design your dream kitchen for free! A wardrobe designer can also come in handy.
- varieties of such draperies can be used to create any interior;
- Easy adjustment of lighting in the room thanks to the mechanism that easily raises and lowers the canvas;
- minimum material consumption when making curtains with your own hands;
- color fastness of the canvas from exposure to sunlight;
- light wash in an automatic washing machine;
- the ability to mount absolutely in any part of the window opening;
- Special construction weighted canvas does not swell in wind gusts;
- Resistant to high humidity, thanks to which the curtains can be hung even in the bathroom.
How to choose a Roman blind
When choosing a decoration for windows, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Type of fastener. The connecting parts should be selected depending on where the curtains will be hung. So, for example, a conventional cornice is used for a standard wooden opening. However, if the window is of a non-standard configuration, more flexible fasteners are used here. The same applies to plastic double-glazed windows, since Roman blinds can be hung on plastic windows only with the help of special adhesive tape.
- Sewing method. Roman curtains are sewn from one or more layers of fabric. The amount of its use for sewing curtains depends on the purpose of the drapery. If the curtains will serve as a secondary element of the decor. You should select a model made from one layer of canvas. If the curtain will act as a key element in creating a decor, give preference to models made of several layers of fabric.
- Material. The quality of the fabric used for sewing will determine how harmoniously the model will look when creating an interior design.
Design and mechanisms
In addition to the material and types of fastening, you should know about the existing mechanisms for raising and lowering curtains.
- Plank construction. The most budgetary model of Roman curtains, which is easy to make with your own hands. To do this, hooks are screwed onto a baguette with a diameter of 10mm-15mm, which will control the operation of the ropes responsible for raising and lowering the curtains.
- Rotary chain mechanism. For activation, a special axis is installed on the longitudinal ledge above the window, which is responsible for the operation of the blocks.The blocks, in turn, control the lifting and lowering of the ropes. This design makes it possible to fix Roman shades at any height. During operation, the rotor-chain mechanism is distinguished by its durability and strength.
- Rope construction. This mechanism is only applicable for fine fabric curtains. Since when operating a rope mechanism with a dense canvas, the rope that is used for lowering and raising will break very quickly.
Types of fastening
The following fasteners are provided for fixing Roman curtains:
- ceiling, used for fastening Roman blinds, which are of great weight and length.And also for covering several window openings;
- wall-mounted, used to cover window slopes, as well as to visually expand the window space. The option is most acceptable when the roman blind is the only drapery in the room;
- window, in which the canvas is fixed directly to the window frame, and at the time of lowering does not cover the window sill.
There are also two types of fixation: with and without a cornice.
With curtain rail
When installing curtains using a special holder, select the element that matches the window configuration.There are three types of ready-made curtain holders:
- mini-curtain rods, designed to fix small curtains on one window sash;
- Classic curtain holders for medium-heavy draperies. They can be fixed anywhere in the room, since it is very simple to attach a Roman blind to a wall or ceiling using this cornice;
- bevel holders used for non-standard window structures. Two elements of the holder, fixed at the top and bottom of the canvas, securely hold it even when opening a window of any configuration.
Installation without drilling
To avoid drilling unaesthetic holes when attaching the eaves, you can use other fixing methods:
How to hang Roman blinds on plastic windows
Before installing Roman blinds on plastic windows, you need to identify the type of fastening of the structure. It is necessary to understand how it will be better to carry out the installation: inside or outside the window opening. After all, you can hang curtains in any way, the differences will only be in the size of the canvas and the fastening itself. The selection of a place will depend on the configuration and size of the window sill, as well as the design decisions of the owners.
Option for fixing outside the window opening
Roman blinds with attachment to plastic windows in the outside position will look perfect for any design solution. You should be aware that the correct installation of the drapery will not interfere with the normal opening and closing of the window.
When choosing this particular fixing option, you should measure the canvas, which should be 12cm-15 cm wider than the window itself. When fixing the curtain, which will be narrower, the interior of the room will look “poor” and not attractive.When attaching a wider canvas, the drapery will look pretentious, attracting the eye, violating the harmony of the interior.
Following the instructions that came with the purchase of a Roman shade, under the ceiling between the elements fixing the cornice, axles are attached to which the curtains are fixed. This method will visually increase the square meters of a small room, hide the gnarled slopes.
Variant of fixing inside the window opening
If the installation will be carried out inside the window, before hanging the Roman blind, you need to measure the width, length and top of the opening.The curtain model that will correspond to the minimum of measured distances will be ideal.
For internal installation, the location of the anchors should be selected so that opening and closing the sash is not difficult. When open, the curtains should not touch the handles and latches, which are located on the frame. The distance between the anchors must be equal to the width of the curtain. And after fixing the brackets, you should make sure that the fabric can be easily moved away.
Features of fastening Roman blinds on plastic windows
When installing Roman canvases, you should take into account some of the features of the work:
- The upper part of the assembled canvas cannot be tightly pressed against the cornice itself.At the same time, it forms an immovable dense area that can interfere with the opening of the sash. Therefore, when marking out the place for installing the holder for curtains, you should take into account the segment from the top of the window, which is equal to the length of the immovable piece of fabric. Depart upward from the marked place the same distance;
- Self-adhesive holders can be used when attaching curtains to both fixed and swing windows. Before gluing, the surface of the frame should be degreased with alcohol;
- when installing anchors under Roman curtains, you need to know exactly the location of the electrical wiring;
- When living in the room of small children, it is necessary to protect the safety clips to protect the little ones from possible injury.
A few words about care
As time passes, Roman canvases, like all fabrics, need cleaning. Before assembling the Roman shade and removing it for washing, the drapery must be vacuumed at low mode or brushed from dust.
Depending on the fabric from which the curtains were made, they can be washed, ironed and even bleached. The canvases are removed from the eaves and cleaned, depending on the rules for using the material.
The installation process of Roman blinds is not a very complicated matter, so you do not need to ask a drapery fixing specialist for help, but fix it yourself.
fastening the eaves to a plastic window, to the wall and to the ceiling, how to assemble a double
What kind of window decoration can be as simple in daily use as blinds and as elegant as the graceful draperies of long curtains? These are, of course, Roman shades.Appearing about 2000 years ago in ancient Rome, they are relevant to this day.
Construction and mechanisms
A Roman blind is a piece of fabric that is most often even and proportional to the window frame or opening of the window in its unfolded form, which, when opened, gathers at the top of the window in horizontal folds thanks to the lifting mechanism and the special design of the curtain itself. When lifting and lowering, such a curtain can be stopped at any horizontal level.
These curtains are of three types:
- Classic – when unfolded and folded, they represent a flat canvas with even folds formed by cords. Suitable for laconic and elegant interiors.
- Cascading – in any position, they form folds or draped waves that fall in cascade.
- Frameless – when folded, they sag in graceful arcs, since they do not have a cord in their structure, but are pierced with thin threads.
The curtain consists of several parts:
- Cloth , divided into equal horizontal stripes by rings sewn in a certain order (frameless version) or wooden or plastic strips sewn into the fabric. With the help of the slats, horizontal folds are formed without sagging. The width of the folds depends on the thickness of the fabric. So that the curtain does not bristle at the bottom and hangs exactly over the entire width, a special heavy bar is installed at the bottom of the panel.
- Curtain rod is a device for securing the curtain fabric. These control mechanisms are manual, mechanical or automatic.
Various factors are taken into account for attaching such curtains to windows.
According to the location of this type of curtain, 3 options can be distinguished:
- Ceiling mount.
To decide which layout to use, it is necessary to determine what tasks these decorations should perform for the room:
- If you want to use a window sill even with the curtains lowered as a workplace or resting place, as a shelf for displaying your collection of objects or flowers, then you are better off choosing curtain mounts such as window frames.The fabric here is attached directly to the window frame and does not cover the window sill when lowered. The same option is suitable for plastic windows with front opening for ventilation, and it will not interfere with the opening of any window.
Also, this option is used in the combined design of the window, when other types of curtains are added to the Roman ones.
- If you need to cover the slopes of the window from the view of a stranger or visually expand the size of the window, then a wall mount is suitable here, when the cornice is attached above the window opening on the wall.This option is suitable for large windows and when the curtain is the only decoration for this window, and other draperies are not intended to be used. Also, this option is suitable for attaching electric eaves.
- When you intend to hang heavy long curtains, or close several windows at once or an entire wall, a ceiling mount is suitable for this solution.Such types of fastening most often involve the installation of a curtain rod with an electric drive
There are two types of fastening: with a curtain rod and installation without a curtain rod.
With curtain rail
Cornice is a mechanism designed for fastening a fabric cloth. It usually comes with curtains.But when you sew curtains yourself or to order, the curtain rod for such curtains can be purchased or ordered separately. If you install Roman shades using a curtain rod, then you need to think over for which window shape, for what size these curtains are intended, and then select the type and type of curtain rod.
Depending on the type, there are 3 types of cornices:
- Manual control. Manually raise the folds using a rope (cord) mechanism threaded into special rings sewn from the inside out at a certain distance along the entire length.It is the easiest to use mechanism, suitable for curtains of small size and weight not exceeding 5 kg. It is easy to make it yourself using cords and rings.
- Mechanical. Mechanical control is a chain-rotor mechanism equipped with a lifting shaft that moves and lifts folds using a chain. It can be used to lift curtains weighing up to 8 kg.
- Electric cornice. The automatic lifting mechanism with an electric drive is designed similarly to a chain-rotor, only it is equipped with a motor and the curtains are opened using a remote control.The electric cornice is suitable for any kind of curtains, even heavy and large-sized ones, and allows you to use them on the highest, hard-to-reach windows.
There are three types of ready-made curtain rods on sale:
- Mini. The smallest and designed for small-sized curtains for fixing them on one casement of a swing window or window frame of a blind window.Most often, such curtains are attached with Velcro sewing, since their small weight and size allows you to use this type of fastening even without drilling holes in the frame.
- Classic. Designed for larger curtains, can hold up to 1.5 meters wide and 1.8 meters high. They are mainly mounted on the wall and on the ceiling, but can also be attached to the frame. More often than others, this type of curtain rod is equipped with an electric drive.
- Skos. Designed for non-standard windows (arched windows, diamond-shaped, trapezoidal, round) and windows with an inclined surface, such as dormers. Two guides (at the top and bottom of the canvas) keep it on the roof window even when it is opened. Such curtain rods are designed for curtains weighing no more than 3 kg.
When sewing on your own, it is better to use Velcro rather than hinges or a curtain rod, so that the curtains do not slide down an inclined surface.
If the size of your window exceeds 1.8 m in width, then you will have to order a special cornice in the workshop and fix it on the ceiling, for greater reliability it is best to use an electric cornice.
Installation without drilling
Any fastening using a cornice – both mechanical and electric cornice, involves the formation of holes on the window frame or on the walls and ceiling, since they are all fastened with self-tapping screws and require drilling holes for fastenings. This can be avoided by using alternative mounting options.
The installation method is used as fastening on a special textile sewing Velcro. The Velcro adhesive tape is glued either to the window frame or to the wall, and is sewn onto the canvas or also glued. So you can do without drilling a plastic frame. Then it is best to use lightweight curtains, since installing them with Velcro over time loses its reliability and durability.
When the product is being sewn on its own, it is advisable to use the existing cornice and fix the fabric on it on the loops sewn along the upper edge or nail it to it with a furniture stapler.The disadvantages of these methods are obvious, since the structure often looks not so aesthetically pleasing and it is possible to fix the canvas with brackets without damage only once.
Fastening on the hinges is also not very convenient, since the canvas can sag due to the uneven distribution of the loops along the round cornice or railing, and when fastening the curtain with the hinges, it is not very easy to remove the canvas from the cornice.
You can shoot a strip of adhesive tape with a stapler on the existing cornice, and attach the curtain fabric to the Velcro.Then the curtain can be simply removed for washing, and you can also hang another curtain in its place.
A homemade curtain can also be installed on a round curtain rod using a drawstring – threading the curtain rod-pipe through the hemmed upper edge of the curtain, as well as sewing it around the curtain rod directly on the window. True, in order to remove such a product for washing, you will have to remove the cornice along with the curtain. With these types of fastening, an electric cornice will not work. Here you can use only a rope mechanism for manual lifting or a mechanical one in the form of a block on which a chain is wound.One end of the rope is fixed here on the block, and the other at the bottom of the canvas.
When installing the curtain using a curtain rod, tools will come in handy – a drill or screwdriver, a tape measure and a pencil. This instruction is suitable for installing the curtain rod directly and on the frame of a plastic window, and when you need to attach it to the wall or ceiling.
To install the curtain rod:
- Use a tape measure and a pencil to mark the area required to attach the eaves. When you need to attach the curtain to the wall above the window opening, then draw a line parallel to the window sill. If the cornice is attached to the ceiling, then the installation of the cornice should be flush or parallel to the edge of the window opening. When installing a double Roman blind, you need to mark the attachment points, taking into account the width of the double cornice.
Placing a double Roman shade will require more space, so it is better to attach the double Roman shade to the wall or ceiling.
- Drill the necessary holes in the attachment points (in the wall – if the cornice needs to be attached to the wall, in the ceiling – if it is attached to the ceiling or in the frame of the window frame closer to the outer corners – if the cornice is installed on the frame of a plastic window).
- Use self-tapping screws to fix the brackets. L-shaped brackets are attached to ready-made curtains with chain or rope lifting controls.
- Secure the assembled curtain to the eaves according to the instructions using special clips or Velcro.
If the curtains are easy to raise and lower, then everything is done correctly. To check this on curtains with manual or mechanical lifting, you need to pull the cord or chain, raise the curtain to the desired height and fix it by pulling the control thread or chain to the side.The curtain should be fixed at the desired height exactly horizontally. To lower the curtains, also pull the cord to the side, the locking mechanism will release the fabric, and you can move the canvas further along the window up or down.
When using a special curtain rod for a double roman blind, check that both panels are lifted independently from the same lifting mechanism. This mechanism is designed to lift each panel separately.
If the lifting mechanism is electrically driven and you are not sure of your ability to assemble the curtain rod according to the instructions, then it is better to entrust the installation to a specialist.
Nuances of consolidation
If you have never encountered the installation of a Roman shade or sewed it yourself and want to install it personally, then you need to take into account certain tricks for fixing this type of curtain:
- The top of the fabric when assembled has a “blind” zone, since the fabric is not collected under the very eaves, as, for example, with horizontal blinds.And that strip of fabric can get in the way when opening windows. Therefore, when marking for installing the cornice, it is necessary to take into account the measurement of the distance from the upper edge of the window, equal to the width of the fold, and retreat this distance upward when marking.
Alternatively, for such window openings, you can choose to place the curtain over the window sash or attach it to the ceiling.
- To fix the curtain rod to the window frame, fastening with self-tapping screws is most often required.And in this case, the integrity of the plastic window is violated. You can use other options – sticky tape, double-sided tape, but these fastening options are short-lived compared to screws.
- Correct measurement of the window is very important during installation. Before buying or sewing, you need to decide how you will hang the curtain – inside the window opening or on the wall, blocking it. For any type of installation, you need to measure – accurately measure the width and height of the window opening or the window itself, or its sashes.
The width should be measured in three places: top, bottom and middle. The curtain should be no wider than the smallest of the three. Then the curtain will move freely even in the window opening.
- If you have beveled windows, then the curtain can be mounted both inside and over the window opening.
- Use the appropriate type of anchorage depending on all factors in your room and window.
- Decide on the style of the room, the purpose of the curtains, and their number for one window. Take into account the width and weight of the fabric, take the necessary measurement of the window opening and choose the required type of fixing the curtain on the window – on the frame or in the window opening, on the wall or on the ceiling, with or without a cornice, double cornice or ordinary, with which lifting mechanism is manual, mechanical or electric drive.For each type of curtain, the best mounting method is suitable.
There are many options for decorating a window with a Roman shade – the choice is yours.
For information on how to properly install Roman shades, see this video.
90,000 How are Roman shades attached to a window, ceiling or wall?
More and more housewives choose roman blinds for their home.They look beautiful in any interior, are easy to use and take up almost no space. If you decide to buy Roman blinds for your home, you need to find out how Roman blinds are attached? This process does not require a lot of time and the hands of a professional, the main thing is to know how to do it.
Contents of article
What are Roman shades
Roman blind is a rather complicated mechanism. In order for the canvas to gather in uniform folds, plastic strips are sewn into the wings at an equal distance from each other.They help the curtains rise and fall smoothly and evenly.
On the back of the curtain there are special rings through which ribbons or ropes pass. They ensure the operation of the curtain. In addition, some models are equipped with weights at the bottom of the product, which make the curtain lowering more smoothly.
How the product is attached to the window
Roman blinds can be fastened in several ways. All of them are quite simple and can be done independently:
- On the sash.The product can be attached directly to each window sash. This allows the use of space on the windowsill and does not interfere with the operation of the window. To prevent the product from drooping when opening the sash, you can attach magnets.
- To make the curtain cover the entire window at once, you can attach it to the upper frame. The windowsill is still at the disposal of the owners, but opening the windows is quite troublesome.
- These window blinds can be installed in the window opening. Then they will be flush with the wall and close the windowsill.
- On the window opening, the product is mounted to the ceiling or to the wall. In this case, the window sill can be both open and closed, it depends on its size.
Important! When making an order, it is important to take into account the parameters of the window. The handle should not interfere with the operation of the curtains themselves.
Methods of fastening
There are several ways to install Roman blinds on plastic windows: installation on ready-made cornices, on a special bar or make a cornice with your own hands.
How to install Roman shades on a bar
As a rule, a special bar is always included with the product. It can be attached to a window, wall or slope, and the curtain itself is fixed to the strip with Velcro.
How to install
- A special holder is mounted using self-tapping screws (there are fasteners without them).
- The ribbons are threaded into the rings on the back of the fabric, after which the fabric is attached to the bar.
- The bar is installed in the mountings.
Types of cornices and how to use them
Several special profiles are available for the installation of Roman blinds. Attaching curtains to it is obtained using a special Velcro, which is sewn to the fabric of the product. Depending on the lifting mechanism, the curtain rods are divided into three types:
- Rope (cord) – a rope is passed through the rings on the back of the canvas. It is set when the weight of the product is less than 4 kg.
- Chain-rotor – designed for heavy versions of Roman blinds. The product is lifted by belts that are attached to special blocks.
- Curtain rod with electric motor – lifts automatically, controlled by the remote control.
In addition, the curtain rods can be divided into three more subcategories, each of which is installed on windows of different sizes and shapes:
- Classic – can be installed on any type of surface;
- Mini – specially designed for installation on a window sash ;;
- Bevel – installed on an uneven surface or on windows with a non-standard shape.
How to install a profile, walkthrough
The device is mounted according to the standard scheme, but each cornice must be accompanied by its own installation instructions. How to hang a curtain rod for Roman blinds:
- Make preliminary markings for the installation of fasteners and install them;
- All belts and chains on the hoist must be untangled;
- Attach the canvas to the cornice using adhesive tape;
- Now the ropes of the lifting mechanism must be passed through the rings on the back of the curtain;
- For reliability on the last ring, the rope must be tied with a strong knot;
- We install the lifting system and mount the structure in the previously prepared mountings.
How the curtain rod for Roman blinds is made
There is no need to buy a ready-made cornice to attach the curtains to the window. If desired, you can easily do it yourself. First of all, you need to prepare all the necessary tools and details for the future cornice.
- A beam, the width of which will correspond to the width of the finished curtain, the section of the beam is chosen based on the weight of the entire product;
- Prepare varnish, paint, fabric and a brush for decorating the cornice;
- Screwdriver, screws themselves and a drill;
- Adhesive tape (same as factory).With its help, the canvas will be attached to the cornice;
- To fix the tape to the cornice, choose assembly glue, construction stapler or small nails, if desired.
- Tape measure and pencil;
- In hardware stores, you can find self-tapping screws with rings instead of hats, they are what we need;
- Rope twist holder.
- First of all, it is necessary to decorate the timber. This can be omitted, but for a more aesthetic look, it is still worth it.We paint it, cover it with varnish, some people prefer to wrap it with a cloth, which is subsequently fixed with a stapler.
- Marking is made for fasteners.
- Velcro, or rather its rigid part, is fixed in the upper part of the bar.
- Cloth with rings for bands or ropes is applied to the bar from the inside. Each ring is marked with a pencil, after which screws with rings are screwed in along these marks.
- The canvas is connected to the timber using Velcro.
- From the back side of the curtain we pass the rope through all the rings, including the rings on the screws mounted in the cornice. We collect them on one side, while the extreme rope needs to be threaded through all the screws, and the middle rope is threaded into the last one.
- The timber is fastened to the frame with screws. You need to fasten it to the top of the frame to maintain the tightness of the window.
- The rope holder is installed on the side where the ropes themselves come out. This ensures the fixation of the web.
Important! For more comfortable operation of the product, a rope connector is best purchased from a store. In this case, the curtain will be locked automatically in the desired position.
Roman blinds are a more practical and modern analogue of the curtains we are used to. They look great in the interior, and every owner can install them without the help of specialists. And how exactly to do this, we tried to tell you in as much detail as possible in this article.
90,000 Let’s find out how Roman blinds are properly attached. Watching video
Roman blinds have become very popular recently and in principle this is understandable, they are versatile and very comfortable.
This type of curtain is suitable for any interior, be it classic or modern.
They take up little space , that is, standard curtains, and the tulle to which we are so accustomed, may not fit into the interior and simply interfere. Plus, Roman shades are easy to maintain and fairly cheap.
There are many designs, and you can easily install them yourself.
Eaves for fastening
Curtains can be attached using a special curtain rod (offered with curtains or ordered separately from the store) or freely (using other designs and materials that may be suitable for such work, for example, attaching curtains with Velcro).
Eaves can be different, respectively, each of them is designed for its own special way of attaching Roman blinds.
There are special curtain rods , which are designed to attach curtains to the window frame or to the ceiling in the window opening (a convenient option if the window frame allows this and in this case, you can use the window sill even if the curtain is lowered).
A regular curtain rail is mounted on the wall, in which case the lowered curtain will be flush with your wall.
And cornices, which are intended for non-standard windows (beveled or semicircular, for example).
If you are a fan of hand-made things, you can make the cornice yourself. To do this, you will need a block of wood (made of sturdy wood).
Its length should be along the length of the window, and its width should be approximately 3 x 3 cm. You can paint or wrap the block to match the interior.
To the side of the bar, the one that will be attached to the wall, we attach the parts that are used to hang the paintings (it is recommended to fasten them using self-tapping screws ).
Next, we make loops, they can be made from thin nails that need to be bent so that the loop comes out. The number of loops is equal to the number on your curtains and plus one (the latter will be used as an attachment for the thread).
The next step is to thread the thread through all the necessary loops on the curtains (in Roman curtains there are special places for the thread (they are stitched, so you can easily notice them) horizontally and vertically).
Thread and will be the same mechanism , which will raise the curtains.So, we pass them through the curtains and then through the loops on the bar.
Pull all the threads through the last loop and connect (weave them into one in the way you want). At the end of the thread we attach a ring.
To adjust the curtains to the desired position, you need special hooks .
You pull the curtains to the desired position and fix them by securing the thread on the hook.
It is possible to buy special hooks that will be attached directly to the thread or to the wall near the window.
Instead of loops, you can attach curtains with adhesive tape (you can fix it with nails or a construction stapler), but you still need to make a loop for the thread at the end of the block. Further, the process is described above, starting from pulling the thread through the Roman shades.
Step-by-step instructions for fastening
- We need to choose the place where we attach the cornice (on the window or on the wall). If you doubt that the frame of your window can withstand the curtain rod and curtains, it is recommended to attach the curtain rod to the wall in order to avoid unpleasant situations (this is a reliable option that your curtains will hang exactly and the curtain rod will be attached).
- We make markings where the cornice will hang (check that the cornice is in the size of the window if you hang it on the frame).
- We make holes in the wall or window frame , this must be done carefully, especially when working with the frame.
- Use self-tapping screws to fasten the cornice.
- Attach the curtain rod.
- Hang up the curtains , straighten them and check how the mechanism works.
Do-it-yourself liquid wallpaper.What is needed for this?
Let’s find out if it is possible to glue wallpaper on paint here. Helpful hints.
Find out which surface is better to choose for the floor here. Recommendations from experts.
On the factory version of the cornice, it is also possible to fasten the curtains, both on hinges and on a special Velcro tape.
Instruction must be included with the curtain rod, which explains what the parts are, what function they perform and how to correctly fold the curtain rod and attach it to the wall or window frame.
The cornice can be completely assembled and all you have to do is hang it correctly or in separate parts (in this case, as already explained above, step-by-step instructions should be attached to help you navigate).
We attach a video for you with tips on how to properly attach Roman wallpaper. With the help of this video, you can visually evaluate the whole process and get some tips on how to do everything better and better.
How to fix on plastic windows?
Most residents have plastic windows in their apartments, so questions about how to properly hang Roman blinds on plastic windows and whether it can be done are quite appropriate.
Drilling holes in a plastic window in no case can you damage the window frame.
It is better to use a special cornice, which will be mounted on the ceiling in the window opening.
Or attach the curtain rod to the wall (universal and simplest option).
So, the use of Roman blinds is a very simple, easy and cheap option to decorate your apartment / room / premises. A big plus is that you can attach them yourself and this procedure is not at all complicated. Everything you need is described in this article.
How to hang Roman blinds on plastic windows – how are they fixed?
Roller blinds are very popular today due to their practicality and ease of use.They will reliably protect the room from the sun’s rays, are easy to operate, do not require special care and will be an excellent addition to the interior, helping to create an atmosphere of coziness and comfort. Equally well suited for both home and office space.
The choice of colors, textures and designs of roller blinds is huge, there are also several control systems (mechanical and remote control). Therefore, everyone can find a suitable option for themselves.
We fix roller blinds
Fixing roller blinds does not require any special skills and will not take much of your time.Everything is very easy and simple.
Usually, roller blinds are mounted on plastic windows, although they are also well suited for wooden ones.
One of the most important elements of success is choosing the correct size of the leaf so that they do not interfere with opening the doors and do not cling to the handle.
To choose the right size, you must first determine where the curtains will be attached (to the wall, to the frame of the opening or to the ceiling), and also select the appropriate system.
With the right choice, roller blinds will become a real highlight in the design of your home, as shown in photo
The following roller blind systems are available:
How to fix the roller blind depends largely on the system you have chosen and the place of installation.
This is the simplest design. Consists of a web wound on a shaft and a control mechanism.
To establish the desired size, it is necessary to measure the distance between the outer edges of the window glazing beads in width and height. The size of the fabric in length and width should correspond to the measurements obtained.
There are three mounting methods:
- for self-tapping screws;
- with brackets;
- on adhesive tape.
If you want to attach the curtains using self-tapping screws, be sure to take into account during the measurements that at least 23 mm must remain on both sides for the installation of the fastening mechanism.
The curtain must be assembled before installation. To do this, alternately thread the edges of the fishing line through the holes in the mounting corners and tie them with a double knot. Next, cut the line in half. We insert plastic capsules into the edges of the shaft, after which we snap its edges into the mounting corners.
Roller blinds of the Mini system are the easiest to install
Then we carry out the installation itself:
- Apply the curtain to the top of the sash and set it to a level;
- We make marks with a pencil on the profile, in the places where the mounting angles will be installed;
- Remove the mounting angles from the shaft, apply to the places previously marked with a pencil, make holes with a screwdriver;
- Insert plastic capsules into the mounted corners and press on top with a side plate;
- Insert the chain into the control mechanism so that one edge hangs down by about ten centimeters;
- The assembled corner is mounted in the drilled hole;
- We drill the second corner so that the fishing line is clamped between the profile and the corner;
- Insert the curtain into the corners;
- We pass the free edges of the fishing line through the holes in the lower strip of the curtains;
- We fix the clamp for the lower edges of the fishing line with self-tapping screws;
- Thread the line through the holes in the latch and tighten it by twisting the latch mechanism.
In order not to damage the window frame, the curtain can be mounted using plastic or aluminum brackets.
Brackets (can be both plastic and aluminum) are attached to the window sash, which at this time must be in the open position. Then you need to press down the seal. We put on the side clamps on the brackets and fasten the curtain. This mounting method is only suitable for an opening sash.
To fasten the curtain with adhesive tape, first mark the location of the mounting brackets and degrease the profile surface with a glass cleaner.Then it is necessary to remove the protective tape from the fasteners and attach them to the profile. Press for 30 seconds. Then we put the clips and the curtain on them.
If you have not calculated the dimensions, such a curtain can be cut off. To do this, completely unwind the blade and separate it from the shaft. Take accurate measurements and use a ruler or level to measure the desired piece on the canvas. Use a metal hacksaw or jigsaw to shorten the shaft. Then assemble the curtain according to the instructions.
Unlike the previous system, the roller shafts of this type are hidden in the box, and they also have guides.
Measurements should be carried out as follows: the height is measured from the outer edge of the upper glazing bead to the inner edge of the lower glazing bead, and the width is the distance between the inner edges of the glazing beads. To use this system, the glazing beads must be flat and at least 12 mm wide. If they are narrower, you need to add 3 millimeters to the width of the curtains, and if they are wider, on the contrary, subtract a couple of millimeters.
- Degrease the glazing beads with a glass cleaner;
- Glue the guides;
- We put the fabric behind the guides and align so that its upper edge coincides with the outer edge of the glazing bead;
- We fix the curtain with self-tapping screws;
- Put on the side covers and attach the control chain;
- Install the chain holder on the window frame.
Classic curtains can be attached to both opening and blind openings
The guides in such a system represent a U-shaped profile into which the web is inserted.
Such a system is usually chosen if the embedment depth of the opening becomes less than seven millimeters. They are also suitable for rounded glazing beads.
Measurements are made between the outer edges of the glazing beads. If the glazing beads are rounded, then nine millimeters on both sides must be added to the size of the curtain.
Before installation, it is necessary to degrease the profile. Next, the guides are glued with holes inside the window. The lower bar is inserted into the guides and glued to the base of the box. Finally, we install the control chain.
Roller blinds of the Profil system look very elegant and will look especially perfect on wooden openings, as in photo
These curtains are very convenient because they can be opened from the top down. Therefore, their box is installed at the bottom.
The size of the curtains in length and height is set according to the respective measurements between the outer edges of the glazing beads.
- Cut the line in half;
- Insert the ends of the line one by one into the upper limiter and tie on a double knot;
- We fix the stops on the glazing beads;
- We fix the curtain bar at the top, stretch the line and thread it through the lower stops;
- We fix the curtain box at the bottom of the opening;
- If you release the latches on the bar, the curtain will go down.
Most often, roller blinds are attached to a plastic window. However, they can also be wall- and ceiling-mounted.
Curtains are mounted on the wall and ceiling of the room using dowels and brackets. When measuring, it is necessary to calculate so that in the future the curtain does not interfere with the opening of the window, if it is not deaf. Also pay attention to the window sill – it protrudes or flush, there will be a curtain to the floor or to the window sill. Observe the following data:
- Width of cornice with brackets;
- Required length of curtains;
- Distance the window sill protrudes;
- Sash opening mechanism and distance;
- Direct or reverse winding of the web.
The Mix system is very convenient in that you can open the upper part of the curtains, while the lower one remains closed
As you can see, you can find roller blinds that can be easily attached to a plastic window even without drilling.
In addition, each curtain must be accompanied by detailed instructions for its assembly and installation. So do not be alarmed, it is very easy to install a roller blind – you will definitely succeed.
If you still have doubts, you can find a large number of videos on the Internet, in which each stage of installation of roller blinds is clearly and step by step demonstrated.There are also many videos on the assembly, the features of shortening such curtains.
Roller blinds on the wall and ceiling of the room are installed using special bracket cornices
Roman shades have become very popular lately. They are often installed on plastic windows. They are suitable for any room interior. They appeared in the days of the Roman Empire. Since then, their design has hardly changed, but, of course, over time it has been slightly improved.
Roman blinds are very practical, which is why they are very popular lately.
Features of Roman blinds
Before you install the Roman blind yourself, you need to choose the fabric. The material used for the manufacture of these products today is very diverse. Roman blinds are very practical, easy to clean and have a long service life. They are installed at home and in office premises. Everywhere they look aesthetically pleasing and emphasize the interior.
Roman blinds device.
They are of two types: classic and cascading. Classic – the most popular, they are a canvas consisting of a single piece of material. When it is lifted, folds of fabric are formed. Cascading ones are characterized by the fact that even when unfolded, flat strips of matter fall down.
The texture of the fabric can be light and subtle to decorate a room, or it can be designed to block out bright sunlight.In this case, the material is tougher, treated with a special compound that protects against burning out of matter in the sun.
Roman blinds consist of a cornice and a roll of fabric. A strip is attached at the bottom of the material, which allows the curtains to maintain their shape when unfolded.
There is a certain control mechanism in the design of curtains that allows them to be raised to any height and fixed in any position.
Curtain installation method
Materials and tools:
Schematic drawing of a typical Roman shade.
- Roman shades;
- set of tools.
There are several options for fixing products. The most convenient is the installation of curtains on a special cornice. Such a curtain rod is included in the kit, or it can be ordered from a store. If the products are hand-sewn, then you can order a curtain rod of a certain size, which is suitable for this product.
The cornice consists of an aluminum profile, a lifting device and a control unit.Control can be mechanical or remote with a remote control and an electric drive.
If you could not order or buy a ready-made one, then you can make a wooden cornice. The curtain can be attached to it with a stapler. But this option is not very practical. And the appearance of such models is not very attractive. When they remove the curtain for cleaning, they may inadvertently damage the fabric.
Do-it-yourself Roman blinds can be sewn on top and put on the cornice. It is also not very convenient: when removing the canvas, you need to unscrew the cornice every time.
You can attach the Velcro model purchased from the sewing department. Velcro can be easily glued to any curtain rods made of any material. In this case, one part of it is fixed to the cornice, the second to the curtain. Thus, the curtain is attached to the cornice. With this mounting option, the product can be easily removed from the curtain rod for washing. In the absence of a curtain rod, the product can be fixed directly to the window profile or to the wall above the window.
Step-by-step instructions for attaching curtains
Varieties of Roman blinds.
- First of all, select the type of curtain attachment. It is necessary to determine how the curtain will be installed: inside the window opening or outside.
- If the model will be installed inside a window opening, then even before purchasing it is necessary to measure the window opening in order to select the model of the required size.
- The width of the opening is measured in three places: in the center, above and below. Buy a curtain with a size corresponding to the minimum of three dimensions. In this way, trouble-free operation of the mechanism is guaranteed.
- It is necessary to measure the height of the opening to select a product. When installing curtains outside the window opening, you need to determine how much higher than the window the curtain should be attached, to what level it should go down, how much wider it should be than the window.
- After the necessary measurements, the product is purchased. Brackets for fixing it are included in the kit. The place and method of fastening the bracket determine the method of mounting the structure.
- If the product will be installed inside a window opening, then the place for the brackets is chosen so that they do not interfere with the free opening of the window.When opened, the canvas should not touch the handles and latches located on the frame.
- Mark the location of the brackets. The distance between them is equal to the width of the canvas. After installation, you need to make sure that the blade can be easily moved.
- When installing the model outside the window opening, you need to make sure that the structure will not interfere with the opening of the window, and the window will not interfere with the movement of the canvas. If there are any elements that may impede the movement of the product, they must be removed before mounting the brackets.
- The distance between the brackets must be exactly maintained. They must be fixed at the same height. For the unimpeded movement of the product, it is necessary that the distance between the inner sides is 3 mm more than the width of the web.
- Install the axles between the brackets according to the instructions supplied with the curtain. Check the correctness of the structure.
- Then adjust the position of the clutch on the spool to set the optimum stop for lifting the device.
- If there are children in the home, safety latches should be installed to protect children from injury.
You can install Roman blinds with your own hands with high quality and reliability if you follow the instructions for their installation. The design you choose will close the room from bright sunlight, bring harmony, comfort and coziness to your home.
Home-Types of curtains-Lifting curtains-We understand the mechanism of lifting and fastening Roman blinds
Interior details such as curtains or curtains have taken on a more stylish and modern look over the past few years.For example, Roman blinds with eyelets, which are controlled by specially designed mechanisms. It is not only convenient to use such a device (the distance between the eyelets can be adjusted), they also have an attractive appearance and are in perfect harmony with any interior.
Varieties of mechanisms
An important design feature of Roman curtains is the variety of options for their control. That is why the mechanisms that do the main work are also different.
Main types of mechanisms:
- Cordovye. The main feature is that this mechanism was first used by the Romans, so it can rightfully be considered the most reliable one that has passed the test for centuries. The work is carried out by a system of cords and rollers, which some users create on their own. The disadvantage is that such a system will not withstand more than 4 kg. The number of eyelets is predefined by the manufacturer.
- Rotary with chain. The 2 main elements in this system are the chain through which the curtains move, as well as a special block.In fact, such a system differs from the previous one only in that instead of cords, a chain is installed here, and this significantly increases the durability of the product. The rotor-chain mechanism is capable of withstanding a load of up to 7 kg.
- Motorized. It uses a modern principle of automation and product processing, which is why the motorized control mechanism is most often chosen by manufacturers of Roman curtains. There are practically no shortcomings, with the exception of a complex design, which is quite problematic to fix it yourself.An important plus is the possibility of remote control.
What are closed and open mechanisms for roller blinds
In addition to design features, mechanisms for roller blinds also have a difference in mounting option. They are divided into 2 types: closed and open.
The open type has a simple design: the fabric is wound directly onto the shaft, which can be attached to any base, even to the window sash. The open system is convenient when small windows are installed.Also, this type can be made in very small sizes (called mini).
Pluses of the mini system:
- Brackets for opening and closing the curtain can be attached directly to windows. To make the installation as accurate as possible, use special small metal self-tapping screws.
- The string on which the fabric is attached is securely hidden behind the canvas, so the appearance of the product is not disturbed in any way.
- In the mini system, the lower fastening is responsible for adjusting the string tension.
- For greater reliability, the system is equipped with a reinforced profile.
Now a few words about the closed type. The shaft on which the web is wound when the curtains are opened is safely hidden in a plastic box. The user does not see the operation of the mechanism. A closed system requires the installation of additional guides, the distance between which is equal to the width of the curtain. When choosing closed-type roman blinds, you should pay attention to the colors of different parts of the product. Often, users can see boxes, guides and fasteners of different shades.
Principle of operation and arrangement of mechanisms
As it was said earlier, the first mechanism of roll products was created by the ancient Romans, or rather by the Roman navigators. After all, you do not need to be too careful to understand that the design of a Roman blind resembles an ordinary sail on ancient ships, only with a more modern design of the lifting and lowering system.
Cordless models use a small diameter ordinary cable that passes through several rollers.The rollers allow for minimal effort to move the curtains up or down. One end of the cable is pulled by the user, and the other is not secured to a small cornice or roll on which the curtain is wound. It is enough to pull on the cable, and the curtain will be wound on a roll. To lower it, it is enough to slightly loosen the cable, and under its own weight the canvas will go down.
Rotary-chain mechanisms have the same system as presented above. Except that instead of ropes, a more reliable chain with a long service life is used.You pull on the chain – the curtain rises up, and a special mechanism fixes it in this position. At the same time, it is important to understand what is the width of the curtain on the eyelets and to know how to calculate it correctly.
Motorized models are equipped with small electric motors with independent power supplies or (in some cases) requiring an operating voltage supply. A complex system of small gears is installed, the work of which begins only after a signal from the remote control.
High-quality Roman curtains are initially supplied with all the elements necessary for installation (up to the dowels). To facilitate the installation process, it is best to use the convenient instructions, which are often complemented by clear photographs.
- Marking and accurate calculation. Any construction process should begin with this procedure. It is necessary to use the level and make 2 marks on one line – this is the distance between the mechanisms and the places where the brackets are attached.
- If you need to fix the curtains to the wall, then you should use a puncher, if to the window – then a screwdriver. Fasten the brackets with dowels or self-tapping screws (how much consumable you need can be found in the instructions).
- A cornice is fixed in the brackets, on which the curtain fabric is attached using adhesive tape. To fix the fabric securely, press down firmly over the fabric.
- After all the work done, you can check the operation of the mechanism.The curtain should move smoothly and easily both up and down. There should be no distortions or jamming of the mechanism. If there is a defect, it is better to return the product to the seller.
Your rating 7 0 Share this article
Subscribe to the newsletter Latest news on curtains, styles and curtain rods
Shelf in the hallway
Currently, there is a huge number of very diverse options for shelves in the hallway, and this is directly …
Insulation of a floor in a wooden house
Insulation of a floor in a wooden house from below: materials and installation technology SHARE ON SOCIAL NETWORKS One of the most common …
How to fasten roller blinds to the wall, to the ceiling, fastening Roman blinds
Every year more and more housewives prefer curtains that can be easily assembled by just pulling the string.Such models of curtains are very comfortable, with an attractive appearance, and are easy to use. As practice shows, if you fix the roller blinds carefully, adhering to all the recommendations and taking into account the available nuances, the result will be amazing.
Design features of roller blinds and roman blinds
Rolled models are devices with a special shaft on which the fabric is wound. The shaft is fixed using several holders – brackets.With the help of these brackets, the structure is fixed to the surface of the ceiling and walls. In addition, holes are provided on the fasteners into which self-tapping screws are inserted. Since Roman models are arranged in a similar way, the installation principles are the same.
Options for attaching roller blinds
Understanding how roller blinds are attached, it is worth considering that there are several installation methods.
- Can be fixed to the window opening.This method allows you to close only the window. When choosing this option, it is important to consider how the window sashes will be opened.
- To the wall – as a rule, this option is chosen only by owners of premises with high ceilings and low windows. The distance between the ceiling surface and the upper edge of the window should be about 25-30 cm, but not less.
- To the ceiling – this method is chosen when the windows are quite high and the distance between the upper edge and the ceiling is less than 20 cm.
Only after a specific method of fastening has been selected, you can proceed to the acquisition and installation of the structure.
How to fix roller blinds to the wall
Fixing roller blinds to the wall is one of the most convenient and practical options. In this case, it is possible to use side guides during installation. With the help of such guides, you can make the bar heavier, as a result of which the used canvas during operation will not move away from the window opening (even if there is a strong gust of wind).If you plan to fix it to the wall, then you can use spring mechanisms, which will greatly simplify the process of winding the canvas.
In order to carry out the installation work on the installation of the canvases correctly, it is necessary to pre-drill holes, the diameter of which will be 6 mm. In the future, dowels with screws are installed in such holes, to which fasteners are fixed.
Attention! If you plan to use small roller blinds, then in this case you can use magnetic tapes.
Fastening roller blinds to the ceiling
The easiest way, as practice shows, is to mount roller blinds to the surface of a ceiling made of wood. In this case, you will need to insert self-tapping screws into the tree. The first step is to attach the cornice to the ceiling, and then, using a pencil, make marks where it is planned to install self-tapping screws for fastening the structure. It is recommended to choose self-tapping screws, the length of which is from 4 cm.
If the ceiling is concrete or brick, then, as in the case of a wooden surface, you will need to attach a cornice, make the appropriate marks.
After the marks are made, take a drill with a 6 mm drill and make holes with a depth of 4 to 5 cm at the marks of the marks. Dowels made of plastic are inserted into the holes obtained – they can be purchased at any hardware store. After that, screws are screwed into the dowels and the canvas is installed.
Advice! Drilling into a concrete ceiling is much easier if the drill bit is wet.
How to fix roller blinds on windows
If you purchased bamboo products for decorating a window opening, then the best option is to install fasteners for roller blinds directly on the window.This option is preferred more and more often. This popularity is primarily due to the fact that it is possible to use the window sill for personal purposes.
As practice shows, installation will require self-tapping screws and corresponding holes that are made in the window frame. In this case, the work algorithm looks the same as in other previous versions.
How to attach roller blinds without drilling
It is recommended to take into account the fact that there are ways to attach roller blinds without drilling the surface.In this case, you can use double-sided tape or glue. Many experts do not recommend using glue. This is due to the fact that with regular exposure to temperature conditions and high levels of humidity, there is a high probability that the properties of the glue will be lost and the structure will disappear.
The simplest and most popular way of attaching to a window opening, which does not require much effort and time, is to use double-sided adhesive tape.
Attention! When carrying out installation work, it is recommended to take into account the location of the window handle.
Methods of fastening Roman blinds
Roman models can be fixed to the surface in several ways. As a rule, these are:
- Without drilling holes in the surface – in this case, installation is carried out on the window frame or directly on the window sash. If the second method is chosen, then the canvas will be located as close as possible to the glass, as a result of which it will be possible to use the window sill and the space that remains around the frame for personal purposes.
- With drill hole – in such cases, it must be fixed to the wall or ceiling surface. It is important to take into account that the canvas will cover the entire window opening and part of the wall.
Models that are installed on walls and ceilings may differ in width and length, which is limited solely by the size of the room.
Fastening Roman blinds to the wall
If you plan to fix the canvas on the wall, you can choose the following options: ceiling surfaces; if necessary, the attachment points can be masked using decorative elements;
The most popular mounting method is using double-sided adhesive tape.
Fastening Roman blinds to the ceiling
A roof rail is used to fasten the structure to the ceiling. The algorithm of work is as follows:
- Markings are made on the surface of the ceiling – there should be 2 holes on each side.
- Fix the brackets securely to the wall surface.
- Install the rail using brackets for this purpose.
Can be fastened with hooks.
Installation of Roman blinds on windows
If you plan to install the canvas on a window using the drilling method, then the work should be performed according to the following algorithm:
- The first step is to decide on the place where the installation is planned. After that, appropriate marks are made indicating the drilling locations. It is important to ensure that the marks set are at the same level.
- Using a drill, holes are made, after which the brackets are fixed with self-tapping screws. If necessary, the use of plaster is allowed, which will significantly strengthen the structure.
- After that, the cornice is installed on the staples and the Roman shades are fixed.
After all the work has been completed, it is recommended to check the functionality of the structure.
Fixing roller blinds is easy if you know the correct order of installation work.It is important to understand that roller blinds and roman blinds can be installed in different ways that differ from each other. In the process of performing the work, it is recommended to adhere to all the recommendations, take into account all the available nuances – this is the only way to achieve an ideal result.
Post a comment
How to hang roller blinds on plastic windows?
Roller blinds are an excellent alternative to the usual fabric curtains and blinds, if you need to beautifully decorate the window opening and ensure effective regulation of natural light in the room.A distinctive feature of the roller blind is a solid canvas wound on a rotating roller using a special control mechanism.
Advantages of installing roller blinds on plastic windows
Compared to fabric curtains and blinds, blinds are more convenient to use and more effective for regulating the degree of darkness in a room.
Unlike the former, roller blinds are more compact, cheap, fold up neatly and do not take up much space, are less dirty due to special impregnation, are more convenient to use and more accurately regulate the amount of light that enters the room.Compared to the usual blinds, they have no gaps, since they consist of a solid canvas, and therefore, when lowered, they completely do not let the sun’s rays through. In addition, roller blinds are easier to install, more convenient to use, easy to care for, and if necessary, they can even be washed. They do not collect a lot of dust, better fit under the window, are more compact, and do not make noise when the curtains are raised or lowered.
In addition to the above advantages, roller blinds have several more important advantages – they are perfectly combined with plastic windows, fit harmoniously into the interior, beautifully beat the window opening, are compact and do not “eat up” the usable space.
Features of the choice of roller blinds
There is a huge assortment of roller blinds of various designs and different colors on the market. In order not to get confused among this variety and guess with the choice, when buying, you should pay attention not only to the design and attractiveness of roller blinds, but also to such parameters as:
- Canvas material.
- Product type and design.
- The presence of impregnation that protects against aggressive external influences, dirt, dust and extends the service life of the product.
- Window size.
- The method of installation on a plastic window is on a wall, inside a window opening, or on each sash.
- Curtain width and length.
- Control mechanism.
- The quality of the components.
All these factors determine not only how the roller blinds will fit into the interior of the room and the window opening, but also how long they will last, how easy they will be to operate, what requirements will be required for maintenance and operation.
Methods for installing roller blinds
Due to their small size and design features, roller blinds can be installed not only on the wall or ceiling above the window, but also inside the window opening, and on the sash of a plastic window. Each of the installation methods has its own nuances and is selected in accordance with factors such as the size of the window opening, the interior of the room, the dimensions and design of the curtains.
Wall or ceiling mount
Installation of roller blinds on a wall or ceiling is very similar and consists of the following steps:
- Determine the place of attachment of the shaft or roller shutter box (depending on the design of the latter, whether they are open or closed)
- Using the building level, mark the strip indicating the installation location of the roller blinds.
- Attach roller blinds to the wall or ceiling in the right place and align them in the center of the window opening, apply markings. When marking, it should be borne in mind that the canvas should protrude 1.5-2 cm on each side of the opening in order to completely cover the window and not leave gaps.
- Drill holes for dowels in the ceiling or wall, fix the base of the curtains on them.
- Determine the convenient location of the control chain, install it on the desired side.
With this method of fastening, it is very important to correctly calculate at what distance the roller blind will be located from the window, whether it will interfere with the opening of the sash, whether it will touch the handles, whether there will be gaps through which the sun’s rays will penetrate.
Installation inside the window opening
When installing roller blinds inside the window opening, measure its length and width. In this case, it is imperative to take into account the unevenness of the walls, and therefore it is better to take measurements in 3 places, and to calculate the size of the roller blind, take the minimum value of them.Then the following calculations should be made: subtract 1 cm from the length and width of the window opening.
After the roller blinds of the required size have been purchased and “tried on” to the window, you can start installing them. The mounting principle is the same as for wall or ceiling installation.
Window frame installation
Installation of roller blinds on the window frame of a plastic window is carried out using special self-tapping screws. They can be mounted both inside the sash and on top of it on the upper part of the frame.
When installing, you should first attach the blind to the frame, align it in the center, and so that the fabric cloth completely covers the glass, and then fix the base on the screws.
Installation of roller blinds without drilling
If you need to install blinds on the window frame, but you absolutely do not want to spoil the plastic window by drilling holes, then you can use another method of attaching the blinds.
There is a so-called installation without drilling.It implies installation on double-sided tape or assembly glue. This mounting method is quite reliable and can bear the roller shutter weight well. Thanks to this method of fastening, the window frame does not deform. But do not forget that the mounting glue provides a very strong adhesion between the elements, and therefore if you try to remove the old blind, there is a great risk of damaging its base or the window sash. Therefore, it is better to give preference to adhesive tape.
Installation of roller blinds is quite troublesome and requires great care.With incorrect measurements, there is a high risk of drilling unnecessary holes or placing the roller blind crookedly. Therefore, it is better to entrust this matter to a specialist who has extensive experience in installing such sun-protection systems, and therefore will carefully and correctly place them.
In our store there is not only a wide range of roller blinds for every taste, but there is also an additional installation service, so you do not have to look for a master and waste time on this.